2.03.2010

Idea Blog: A Bridge and a road

The two things that I feel I need to focus on to constantly improve and push my work this semester right now are bridges and roads. Firstly, it is important to understand the function of each thing first in the real world. Bridges are structures that provide a passage over a chasm or object of impassibleness. For me, this takes on a meaning far past just the physicality of a bridge in real life. To me I focus on thoughts of a connector or a way to pass between my two identities inside of me peacefully without struggle and conflict. I feel that the whole reason why I create work that focuses on my identity is because there is no there between the two sides of my life, and will always feel separated and singled out unless I portray the emotional stress and struggles of dealing with this obstruction. In my imagery, I feel that a bridge would depict beautifully my connection between the physical imagery depicted in the photograph to represent the intangible meaning behind my photographs.

Another word that is related, but can mean or depict various other things, is the use of roads. Roads are simply defined as a stretch of land that has been set separately for travel, normally between two different points. This relates to my work as well, because I feel that the road between my two identities has not yet been discovered, and that I am searching for it through my imagery. The road needs to be built, but it cannot be built without understanding if both sides. Travel is also a clear signal from roads, and because I traveled, creating this alternate identity, I feel that travel and exploration have huge issues and points that relate to this. My challenge is now, how to depict the use of roads and bridges together, without overpowering the imagery, and how do I keep the images unique? These are my challenges with thinking about these issues specifically, and the above photograph is something I took before really diving deep into this work, and will hopefully be a rough draft compared to what I will make out with in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment