1.25.2010

Artist Blog: Michael Kenna

Michael Kenna is a recent artist i discovered while revamping myself into the work i will continue to do this semester. He is a British born Photographer who attended numerous schools in England to pursue his photography. He currently lives in Seattle, Washington, in the States. His work, after closely examining it, is extremely similar in emotion i get from my own pieces. His are purely landscape photography, and beautiful black and white prints, however, his pieces speak to the story behind the image. Each shot seems to tell a puzzle of the piece, or leave the viewer questioning the meaning behind the piece. The photographs tell of a place, and then hints at an underlying story within the piece. Originally, I saw very little connection between his and mine, however, as I kept staring, and taking in the images, i realized that without any human imagery in the pieces, he still conveyed the feeling similar to what I try to give off in my own imagery. The difference between the imagery is that my photography and concept benefits more with my own person in the images, whereas Michael Kenna's focuses on the landscape only to tell the story.


Here are two images that I find relevant to my own images.


Ponte dei Sospiri, Venice, Italy, 1987 Gondola Ferro, Venice, Italy, 2006
These pieces also have given me thoughts of toiling with film and black and white imagery. I feel that the manipulated color in the photographs I took for last semester worked to a degree, however, with slight variations in tone quality, it would be hard to reproduce for so many photographs. I think color is something i need to focus on, however, I am still unsure how to approach the issue, and will continue to contemplate various possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment